EControl Ltd. Forum Index EControl Ltd.
VCL libraries and software support forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lexer block rules example

Post new topic   Reply to topic    EControl Ltd. Forum Index -> EControl Syntax Editor
View previous topic :: View next topic  
itsatomic

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:19 am    Post subject: Lexer block rules example Reply with quote

Hi again, Michael.

I have been reading the Lexer help file / documentation, and trying my best to understand how it all works. I am beginning to understand, but the block rules purpose and implementation are a big stumbling block for me.

In the helpfile you have the following:

Code:
Rule "class derived" of LexLib.Pascal:

0. EQUAL        <identifier>

1. EQUAL   )    <symbol>

2. SKIP         <symbol, identifier>

3. EQUAL   (    <symbol>

4. EQUAL class  <identifier>

5. EQUAL   =    <symbol>

TComponent = class ( TPersistent , IInterface , IInterfaceComponentReference )

Conditions start          9           8       7      6            5            4           3            2                                   1                      0

Conditions end           1           0       -1     -2           -3           -4          -5          -6                                   -7                     -8                   

with 0 under the ) character, etc.

I understand you are going backwards from the end of the string, but I do not understand why 1 = ) in the list, when the 0 is under the )?? It seems to imply there is an identifier AFTER the ). Can you please help me understand this?

Also, other than block highlighting, what is a block used for? I could not catch all the uses of this lexer construct from the help files.

It would be fantastic if you could explain the process of creating a lexer from scratch, even if it was a simple one. The lexer I am using needs alot of tweaking and I would much rather learn how to do it than bug you with questions Smile

I cannot even see this rule in the current lexer library entry for Pascal either. Hmmm....

Could you provide a simple and maybe a complex block rule definition / example please?

Thanks!
Aaron
econtrol
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Aaron,

Yes this rule already removed from pascal lexers (replaced with gramma rule reference).

0 identifire means that after ( ... ) must be an identifier (not symbol), for example "private", "end".

Maybe it is not a good example.

Code:
Another simple example "record" from Pascal lexer:
0: EQUAL    record
1: EQUAL    =
2: EQUAL    <identifier>

TMyRecord = record
     0    1    2

When you are writting rule you should be sure that this rule will be succeeded only for the required situations.

For example, if there will be rule (range start)

Code:
0:  EQUAL  class
1:  EQUAL  =
2:  EQUAL  <identifier>

and corresponding rule (range end)

0:  EQUAL  end
1:  EQUAL  ;

In this case there will be errors in ranges detection in files where forward class declaration is used

Code:
TMyClass = class;

Range start rule will succeed but there is no "end;" for such declarations, so all next ranges may be incorrect.

Michael.
itsatomic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:31 am    Post subject: Stylesheets lexer Reply with quote

The stylesheets lexer displays the following result in the config dialog:

body {
font-family: Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
font-size: 8pt
}

The list of font faces should all be blue, I think. What change would need to be made to the lexer to effect this change?

I am trying to learn how to do lexers, so simply changing the lexer and emailing it will not be as helpful as describing the process you go through to correct the lexer here.

Thanks
Aaron
econtrol
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've updated rule "Param":

0: <> ':'
1: = <string>

and set "Identifier index" = 1

Michael.
itsatomic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, that worked. I have no idea why, though.

Can you provide any suggestions for learning how to construct a lexer without developing a syntax highlight component myself?

Is it too involved to provide a step-by-step explanation of how you develop even a simple lexer?

I am really trying my very best to understand what is involved, honestly, I am!

Aaron
econtrol
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Main sequence of analysis:

1. Extracting tokens
All text is assumed continuous. On each iteration parser rules are applied to the current analyzed position. If any rule is succeeded next rules are not checked, token is created and current position is incremented on the length of the token.
After this step we have an array of tokens (words). Each token has token index (that corresponds to the token type name) and token position in the text (position is used to get token string).

2. Processing "Block" rules
These rules are applied to the tokens array.
Each "block" rule is a collection of conditions and attributes.
Each condition is checked for a token.
Conditions are checked in backward order, i.e. first condition is applied to the current token index, second to the previous token and so on.
"Block" rule succeeds only if all condition succeed.
All block rules are checked for each token index (to break rules checking you may use property "Cancel next rules" that breaks rules checking if this rule succeeds).

To design "Block" rules you should initially design a full set of parser rules and check them (for errors) in demo editor (hint of token contains required information: token index, position, ...).
After that you should find sequences of tokens that may be described with the block rule.

The most simple block rules - "tag detector". If this rule succeeds style of the identifier token (reference index is defined by the corresponding property of the block rule) is changed.

Michael.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    EControl Ltd. Forum Index -> EControl Syntax Editor All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: