EControl Ltd. Forum Index EControl Ltd.
VCL libraries and software support forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

General editor performance comments

Post new topic   Reply to topic    EControl Ltd. Forum Index -> EControl Syntax Editor
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mstaszew

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:18 pm    Post subject: General editor performance comments Reply with quote

Have any of you guys noticed less than desireable editor performance? I have not noticed anything drastic except for some slightly slow caret refreshes and key stroke handling, but nothing severe. Our users are reporting slow keyboard response with the navigation keys in particular like the arrows, PgUp, etc. Two of the developers here in the office see some very odd painting when typing from the last visible character. We are using the same app on every machine and for me the last character typing isn't an issue, but for them it has a very flickered effect which I have seen them demonstrate.

The first version that I used of EControl was 2.0 and the performance on large files (about 15000+ lines) was horrendous. That performance has improved incredibly, but it seems that there is still some work to be done. I am using the PL/SQL lexer, a TSyntTextSource with a single TSyntaxMemo linked, a find dialog linked, a replace dialog linked, TAutoCompletePopup linked, and a global TSyntaxManager for the app.

Any suggestions or comments?

Thanks.
mstaszew

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I can't reproduce the problems observed by our users and other developers exactly, I can see the same painting issue if I do the following.

Paste a lot of text into the editor and place cursor at the end. Hold the backspace key. In the demo app I see a the memo flashing and painting entirely in black. In my application I see a flashing caret that will paint itself onto the screen so that 5-10 carets are visible at any given time.

Thanks.
econtrol
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fixing (ecSyntMemo.pas):

Code:
procedure TCustomSyntaxMemo.WMERASEBKGND(var Message: TWMErasebkgnd);
begin
  if DoubleBuffered then
    inherited;
end;

Michael.
mstaszew

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see where that did anything. I added that and rebuilt the Main demo and I still see a flashing black editor and in my application I still see the caret painting itself many times.

Thanks.
econtrol
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fixing (ecSyntMemo.pas):

Code:
procedure TCustomSyntaxMemo.WndProc(var Message: TMessage);
  if (Message.Msg = WM_PAINT) and (FUpdateCount <> 0) then
   begin
    Dispatch(Message);
    Exit;
   end;

inherited;
end;

Michael.
mstaszew

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still seeing this in the Main demo app. I originally posted this message before knowing about Mantis for bug tracking. I'll move it over there so that I don't clog up this forum.

Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    EControl Ltd. Forum Index -> EControl Syntax Editor All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: