EControl Ltd. Forum Index EControl Ltd.
VCL libraries and software support forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bookmark questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    EControl Ltd. Forum Index -> EControl Syntax Editor
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mstaszew

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject: Bookmark questions Reply with quote

Apologies in advance if this long post is received twice. My connection went foobar when I attempted to post the first time.

I am finding the bookmarks design difficult to work with. Hopefully I am just misunderstanding the intended use of them.

Our product needs to support the standard 0-9 bookmarks that most editors provide. In addition, we need to support unlimited custom bookmarks that we create and maintain without the user's direct knowledge. I have looked at the demos and it appears that there is no differentiation between the 0-9 and any custom ones. This is fine as we can work around that to maintain an internal list of which bookmarks were set by the user via CTRL+SHIFT+[0..9], etc.

I have created my custom bookmarks when the user loads a file and they occupy BookmarkObj positions 0..N. I then attempt to goto the bookmark via GotoBookmark(MyBookmark.Index) and this does not work since GotoBookmark is looking for a match to BmIndex. My BmIndex for all custom bookmarks are 0 since I did not set the bookmark using the Bookmarks[I] := SomeOffset. This is how I am creating my bookmarks.

Code:
var
  BM: TBookmark;
begin
  BM := TestMemo.BookmarkObj.Add;
  BM.Position := SomeOffset;
end;

What is the difference between BmIndex and the TCollectionItem.Index property that we get for free in TBookmark? If there is a difference, can support be added to also set the BmIndex when BookmarkObj.Add is used? Am I completely missing the intended use of the bookmarks? If so, is it expected that one would have to use both of the properties in conjunction to achieve full results as in the following?

Code:
var
  BM: TBookmark;
begin
  BM := TestMemo.BookmarkObj.Add;
  //BM.Position := SomeOffset;
  TestMemo.Bookmarks[BM.Index] := SomeOffset;
end;

Thanks.
itsatomic

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi mstaszew

Did you see the bookmark example I asked and received an answer for just yesterday? All you need to do is add the following line of code:

BM.BMIndex := YourIndex;

once you have made the suggestion Michael made about adding the write directive to the BMIndex property.

http://www.econtrol.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26

HTH
Aaron
mstaszew

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up adding an AddBookmark method ro my descendant class that is working quite well. A one line bookmark set can be performed now, but it doesn't handle hints, image indices, or the other gutter object properties but those can easily be added.

Code:
function TNewSyntaxMemo.AddBookmark(CharOffset: Integer): TBookmark;
begin
  Result := BookmarkObj.Add;
  Bookmarks[Result.ID] := CharOffset;
end;

Thanks.
econtrol
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should write following code:

Code:
function TNewSyntaxMemo.AddBookmark(CharOffset: Integer): TBookmark;
begin
  Result := BookmarkObj.Add;
  Result.Position := CharOffset;
//  Bookmarks[Result.ID] := CharOffset;
end;

Michael.
mstaszew

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried that initially, but then the GotoBookmark routine didn't seem to work. I would pass the BmIndex in GotoBookmark and all of my bookmarks had BmIndex = 0 since I never explicitly set it and since I never used the Bookmarks array.

So if I do use that code, how would I use the GotoBookmark routine?

Thanks.
mstaszew

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, hang on. I think that I am starting to understand the bookmarks.

Are BmIndex's 0..9 reserved for the 0..9 bookmarks that are common to most editors? If so, does that mean that any custom bookmarks MUST use BmIndex > 9?

Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    EControl Ltd. Forum Index -> EControl Syntax Editor All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: